For some menu ideas, try Splendid Table or Kentucky Proud Recipes.
If you don't want to cook, consider stopping into a market or restaurant to get fresh local foods to go.
You can find some good leads here: Visit Appalachia
Today is also Go Fishing Day. Go Fishing Day is dedicated to sport fishing, as well as those who fish as part of survival (known as subsistence fishing). Fishing is a great way to help add food to your table while having the satisfaction of knowing that you caught it yourself, as well as a wonderful bonding opportunity for friends and family. Find a good fishing hole in Kentucky: Fishing in Neighborhoods
If you’re still looking for a reason to get outside with family and friends, the National Park Service had (before the administration was focusing on pillaging) a Park Rx program that emphasized reasons why being outside is a prescription for good health:
- Being in nature can improve your mood, increase physical activity, and combat obesity.
- Being outside and the health benefits can be enjoyed by anyone regardless of who you are and where you come from.
- Parks foster social connections, which are vital to community cohesion and contribute to social well-being.
- For little kids, nature fosters active play, which is associated with physical, cognitive, and social benefits.
- For bigger kids (and all of us, really), nature improves mental and social health during what is often a challenging time of life.