There are many reasons to grow and put up your own food –
- economic (It’s good for your budget. You save the money you normally spend on food, and you can sell your extras or plan to grow more to sell.)
- environmental (It’s the best possible scenario – least pollution, energy use.)
- health (Whole, fresh food, exercise from creating it, and engaging in mentally stimulating activities. Local food also has more nutrients than shipped foods.)
- preparedness (Get a gallon of milk before the next storm, and you are ready. All of your food has been ready since last summer.)
- tastiness (You can grow many different varieties of fruits and vegetables, including those not usually locally available.)
No matter the reason you want to grow food, ASPI has a workshop or 5 for you!
Among the 17 programs this year: GARDEN PLANNING, BEES, PEST MANAGEMENT, PRESERVING FOOD, SEASON EXTENSION, and more!
Find a full listing of our workshops and events HERE.
Anyone can come to our workshops – they are very reasonable - $3.00 for adults, free for children accompanying adults..
OR you can come to almost every workshop for FREE and receive take-home supplies!
Join Rockcastle Grow Appalachia, and we’ll help you
- plan your garden
- provide seeds and plants
- provide supplies (either on loan or to keep)
- help you market your produce
- learn to make and market value-added items
- practice preserving and cooking with your produce
Why is it all free? We receive a grant to provide these workshops and assistance.
The requirements of Rockcastle Grow Appalachia are these:
- attend at least 5 ASPI Workshops
- volunteer 5 hours (We have a wide range of opportunities and times available. Everyone in your home can volunteer a little or one person can do all 5 hours.)
- maintain your garden
- provide harvest records (which is an easy once every two weeks form)
How do you join Grow Appalachia?
Come to one of the first two meetings – March 7 or 14 at the ASPI Small Town Demonstration Site
50 Lair Street, Mt. Vernon, KY 404056
Want to confirm and let us know you are coming, or have additional questions?
e-mail Tisha at email@example.com
call the ASPI office at 606-256-0077